The engine is temporarily residing in my garage, where it has had surgery and is now recovering. Last October-ish, my son and daughter (in-law) put a chunk-o-change into it to keep it going. It has had a troublesome CEL (check engine light) that keeps it from passing emissions. It also recently developed major internal engine problems - what's known as a rod knock. This is BAD. It means the engine will soon self-destruct.
An acquaintance thought he could buy a used engine and swap it out for $700-800 including labor and parts. He looked for months for a used engine but could never find one reasonably priced. The best we did was $1450 for just an engine. Labor to swap it out was extra. But you ask: "Why not just pay somebody to fix the worn parts that are causing the rod knock?" Because of the labor expense. This is a major repair requiring disassembling almost the entire engine. A typical shop rate is around $75 per hour and the dealer is around $95 per hour. This is a 23 hour job (for a professional - hundreds of hours for an novice like me). 23 hours x $75/hour = $1,725. When you add parts, it's around $2000. The cost is too prohibitive.
But I'm a maniacal, ...err, I mean mechanical kind of feller. I like to tinker with stuff: cars, computers, tools, man toys. A few years ago I picked up a wrecked road bike for free. I restored it and have had a great time riding it. Sometimes I tear into something only to learn that it is more involved than I thought it would be. I've rebuilt motorcycle engines, and did a car engine in high school shop class ages ago. But these days it's mostly just brakes or other minor repairs. However, I knew what I was getting into with this -- the Toyota would be very involved.
I pulled the engine out of the car, tore it apart, took the guts to a machine shop (a place with special tools and expertise that can re-shape the guts to like new condition), and started putting it back together. It's taken several weeks because of time constraints, but it is coming along. It might be finished by Saturday evening. If anyone is planning a similar event, here's my list of tips for rebuilding an engine:
- Plan on giving up some real estate and make sure it isn't a prime location. The car will just be sitting there until it's drivable again. BTW, the neighbors love seeing a car on jack stands with no front tires. (Hey buddy, whadya think this is, a trailer park or somethin'?)
- Give up more real estate where the engine will be torn down. Parts get spread out all over the place!
- Egg cartons make great holders for all the little parts (i.e. nuts, bolts, clips).
- Every toolbox needs a Sharpie. Label everything or you'll forget what goes where (nuts, bolts, clamps, hoses, wiring harnesses). This is the voice of experience talking!
- Have friends who have tools, establish a relationship of trust with them, and Bob's your uncle! I have seven awesome neighbors who have all kinds of tools. Many of those tools are in my garage right now. This job would have been impossible without them.
- Used but refurbished ten dollar coveralls from Pepboys. Some of the best money I've spent. I just put these on over my street clothes and I'm good to go. Takes 30 seconds and saves my clothes from grease and dirt. When it's dinner time, slip right out, no big deal. Plus, chicks dig it. (Well, my sweetie does. Actually, I made that up. I look like a dork.)
- Avon fingernail brush shaped like a Pink Pearl eraser. I've adopted this little brush from my wife, whose had it for years. It helps clean the dirt and grime from under my nails to keep my hick-ness under control.
- Fast Orange hand cleaner and Dawn dishwashing liquid. A 50/50 cocktail of these products cleans hands quite well, and the Fast Orange smells good.
4 comments:
This chick digs her man in uniform!:) And I dig that it keeps his clothes clean.
You are AMAZING!!!
Oh, daddy-o, I'm lovin' the blob. It's fun to see your thoughts. Also, I'm glad someone actually listened to the song I put up. :) Glad you liked it(ish).
Thanks for your hard work on the car--Jess and I sure appreciate it!
Daddy, you're amazing. I love you! Sorry we weren't able to stop by yesterday, but we want to come down this weekend. Love you!
Thanks Mand, we're happy to see you guys whenever we can!
Post a Comment